Feel Right at Home, Here
People move for a lot of reasons and it can be a little scary. You are in the right place to learn more about the Roanoke Region of Virginia and quiet those fears.
Regardless of your life situation — following a spouse for work, looking for a new opportunity in a new place, moving back to be closer to family — the Roanoke Region is somewhere you can feel right at home.
The region is big enough to have everything you want and expect, but not so big that you get lost in it all. You can look out your window into the mountains (take in all that fresh air) then hop downtown for farm-to-table dining, stock up at farmers markets with regional produce and meat, pedal with your kids on the greenway, or visit a brewery.
Livability At Its Finest
The Roanoke Region’s mountain-metro-mix has what we think is the best active outdoor culture on the East Coast. While the mountains have always provided an amazing backdrop for everyday life, the secret is out and this “zoom town” is where it’s at.
- Dozens of breweries across the region (with plenty of outdoor seating)
- Downtown living has exploded, turning old warehouses into top-notch housing
- Ever-expanding greenway system with 30+ miles of paved trails
- High-speed internet access with regional broadband
- Co-working spaces
- Access to top-notch healthcare with 50% more healthcare practitioners per capita than the national average
- Running groups, weekly bike rides, and people who want to get to know you
Find a Job
You may have brought a job with you now that remote work isn’t such unfamiliar territory, or you might be in the market for a career change. Either way, you have a place here.
Even if you only plan to be here for a short while, career opportunities, mountain views, and an amazing community might change your mind.
Take Their Word for It
… And Theirs
- Top 25 Small and Medium-Sized Towns People Want to Visit, Expedia
- 25 Cities that Millennials Can Afford and Actually Want to Live In, Penny Hoarder
- Bicycle Friendly Community, League of American Bicyclists
- Best Mountain Town, Blue Ridge Outdoors
- 20 Greenest Cities in the Nation, Expedia
- Top 100 Best Places to Live, Livability
- More All-America City awards than any other U.S. city, National Civic League
Does Your Office Have a View Like This?
Step out of your office — at home or just a short car or bike ride away — and into the great outdoors. In the Roanoke Region, you are never far from your next adventure. With little/no commute, you can spend those extra hours biking, hiking, paddling, running, or just hanging out by a campfire.
- 32 miles of paved urban trails
- 1.2 million acres of public land
- 70 square miles of lakes
- 1,300 miles of blueways on major rivers
More Bang for Your Buck
The Roanoke Region has the lowest cost of living for any metro area in Virginia. We’ve got it all — entertainment, housing variety, shopping, and services — at a low cost. Every dollar will go much further in Roanoke whether it be for housing, groceries, utilities, transportation, health care, or miscellaneous expenses.
- Groceries: 13% below the national average
- Housing: 18% below the national average, based on new 2,400 square foot home (get the low-down on housing here)
- Lower taxes but high-quality public education and services