We know there’s a lot of information to navigate regarding COVID-19. From navigating working remotely to changes in job status to having kids at home 24/7 to professional development and learning opportunities, the right tools can make it a little easier.
The goal of this page is to provide resources and information in one place to help residents of the Roanoke Region during this time. We will do our best to update it when we learn new information. You can suggest additional resources using the form at the bottom of this page.
Federal Coronavirus Relief (CARES Act)
Congress passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, the largest economic relief bill in U.S. history. It will allocate $2.2 trillion in support to individuals and businesses affected by the pandemic and economic downturn. This is the legislation that will result in stimulus payments for many individuals.
Roanoke Region Responds is updated regularly with information for businesses regarding COVID-19
Locality & Government Resources
- 2020 Census: Workers are not canvasing because of COVID-19, but the Census is important because it determines congressional representation, impacts federal funding, and provides data that will impact communities for the next decade.
- Utility, Housing, and Mental Health Resources from Virginia Career Works
- Federal Income Tax Deadline Changes
- State Income Tax Changes
Jobs & Employment Resources
- Current Job Openings in the Roanoke Region
- How to file for unemployment:
- Outdoor Business and Location Hours Updates from Roanoke Outside
- Takeout maps for ordering from restaurants and breweries
- Virtual Tour of the Fishburn Mansion
- Home Fitness from the Green Ridge Recreation Center (30+ video classes)
- How to Hike the Appalachian Trail Virtually
- Roanoke’s Hidden Art Map from RIDE Solutions (Bike, Walk, Run)
Family & Childcare Resources
- YMCA Camp Hope is providing emergency full-day care for school-age children, for essential personnel
- School Meal Finder, locations providing meals while schools are closed
- How to Talk to Kids About Coronavirus video with real questions from kids answered by a doctor
- Guide to Understanding COVID-19 and Pregnancy from LewisGale
- Carilion Clinic Telehealth: Phone and video doctor visit options
- LewisGale Telehealth: Phone and video doctor visit options
- Real Talk About Nutrition During the Pandemic
Professional Development Resources
- Experience 2020 Mini Sessions
- Working Remote Presents New Challenges; Navigate Them with Ease
- Free Online Courses from Harvard
Volunteer & Giving Resources
- Roanoke Regional Small Business Development Center is looking for volunteers to work with small businesses to review finances, navigate lending options and applications, assess stability, and assist with difficult decisions on day-to-day operations and employment
- Carilion Clinic COVID-19 Support Fund, for health care workers and patients affected by the coronavirus
- Share a message with health care teams: Take a short video (30 seconds or less) on your phone. Thank health care workers and/or share something encouraging. Pro tip: Hold your phone sideways to record horizontally. Email your name and video to email@example.com. Your video may be shared on social media and other digital marketing channels.
Financial Help or Relief Resources
- Mortgage relief options guide from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Many automobile insurers are offering rebates and credits due to COVID-19. Check with your company to see if you qualify.
- American Family Insurance
- Farmers Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- 21st Century Insurance