Experience Leadership Institute
from the Roanoke Regional Partnership/Get2KnowNoke
Learn more about who you are and what your future boss is looking for in a star employee. The Experience Leadership Institute is a cohort-based program that will help you master the skills that employers have rated most important. Upon completion, you’ll earn a resume-boosting Experience Leadership Institute Certificate.
The program will be facilitated and conducted by leaders and employers in the Roanoke Region of Virginia during eight online sessions that will focus on competencies established by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, a nationally recognized set of professional development strategies to successfully transition from college to the workplace, creating a foundation necessary for success.
The program is open to college students and recent graduates. It will provide an opportunity to gain a mentor as well as network with other young professionals across various industries.
The program runs June 3 to August 3. The program is designed to be completed on its own or is an ideal complement to internships and summer jobs.
Leadership Institute Sessions Include
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving: Exercise sound reasoning to analyze issues, make decisions, and overcome problems.
- Oral/Written Communications: Includes public speaking skills; is able to express ideas to others; and can write/edit memos, letters, and complex technical reports clearly and effectively.
- Teamwork/Collaboration: Build collaborative relationships with colleagues and customers representing diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, lifestyles, and viewpoints.
- Digital Technology: Leverage existing digital technologies ethically and efficiently to solve problems, complete tasks, and accomplish goals.
- Leadership: Learn to assess and manage emotions and those of others; use empathetic skills to guide and motivate; and organize, prioritize, and delegate work.
- Professionalism/Work Ethic: Demonstrate personal accountability and effective work habits, e.g., punctuality, working productively with others, and time workload management, and understand the impact of non-verbal communication on professional work image.
- Career Management: Identify and articulate one’s skills, strengths, knowledge, and experiences relevant to the position desired and career goals, and identify areas necessary for professional growth. The individual is able to navigate and explore job options, understands and can take the steps necessary to pursue opportunities, and understands how to self-advocate for opportunities in the workplace.
- Global/Intercultural Fluency: Value, respect, and learn from diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, sexual orientations, and religions.
Experience Leadership Institute Registration
Applications for the Experience Leadership Institute are open through May 30, 2020. Registration is $50 and everyone who completes the program will earn an Experience Leadership Institute certificate. Scholarships are available and will be awarded based on eligibility, an essay, and funding availability.
Send questions to Erin Burcham.
What’s in it for me?
Earn a leadership certificate that will make your resume stand out when you apply for future jobs and internships. This summer leadership program is designed to give you skills that employers are looking for, regardless of industry.
What’s the time commitment?
The program runs June through August and includes 8 leadership sessions (one each week, except for the week of July 4).
- The Experience Leadership institute will have two 1-hour sessions per week. The first session will focus on defining a competency and helping participants articulate how they have developed and use that skill as well as ways to grow their competency in that area.
- The second session will join participants with regional business leaders and young professionals to discuss their roles, give some real-world examples of the NACE competencies, as well as discuss their own career journey.
- Participants are encouraged to attend both weekly sessions; however, only one session per week will be required to earn the certificate. Some weeks, participants may also have materials or assessments to complete prior to the sessions in order to make the most out of the hour together.
- There will be additional popup networking events and socials throughout the summer with a completion celebration at the end. All sessions can be attended virtually and when possible, we will host in-person events.
Who should apply?
Any college student or recent graduate who wants to set themselves apart when looking for jobs. This program can complement work or internship programs and is a great alternative for those whose internships were canceled this summer due to COVID-19. Businesses can also enroll summer interns. Contact Erin Burcham for details.
What does the program cost?
$50, with scholarships available. Apply for a scholarship during registration.
How do I apply?
Fill out the application online. The deadline is May 30.
What’s the application deadline?
All applications must be received by May 30.
Do I have to live in a certain location to qualify?
The Experience Leadership Institute program will be conducted primarily online in the summer of 2020. You can enroll and participate from anywhere.