Experience Leadership Institute
from the Roanoke Regional Partnership/Get2KnowNoke
Develop skills that get you hired. The Experience Leadership Institute is a cohort-based program for college students or recent graduates that will help you learn and articulate the skills that employers consistently rate as most important. Upon completion of the virtual course, you’ll earn a resume-boosting Experience Leadership Institute Certificate.
The program will consist of six online sessions facilitated and conducted by leaders and employers in the Roanoke Region of Virginia. Participants will also have access to exclusive pre-recorded leadership development programming. The program is based on the eight competencies established by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, a nationally recognized set of professional development strategies to successfully transition from college to the workplace.
Throughout the program, participants will reflect on their skill level in the eight areas of competency, and by the end of the program, will be able to articulate how they have used that skill in their work. This will prepare them for building their resume and interview process.
Students will also have the opportunity to have a resume review, as well as a mock interview.
The program runs June 7 to July 16. The program is designed to be completed on its own or is an ideal complement to internships and summer jobs.
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving: Exercise sound reasoning to analyze issues, make decisions, and overcome problems.
- Oral/Written Communications: Includes public speaking skills; is able to express ideas to others; and can write/edit memos, letters, and complex technical reports clearly and effectively.
- Teamwork/Collaboration: Build collaborative relationships with colleagues and customers representing diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, lifestyles, and viewpoints.
- Digital Technology: Leverage existing digital technologies ethically and efficiently to solve problems, complete tasks, and accomplish goals.
- Leadership: Learn to assess and manage emotions and those of others; use empathetic skills to guide and motivate; and organize, prioritize, and delegate work.
- Professionalism/Work Ethic: Demonstrate personal accountability and effective work habits, e.g., punctuality, working productively with others, and time workload management, and understand the impact of non-verbal communication on professional work image.
- Career Management: Identify and articulate one’s skills, strengths, knowledge, and experiences relevant to the position desired and career goals, and identify areas necessary for professional growth. The individual is able to navigate and explore job options, understands and can take the steps necessary to pursue opportunities, and understands how to self-advocate for opportunities in the workplace.
- Global/Intercultural Fluency: Value, respect, and learn from diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, sexual orientations, and religions.
Experience Leadership Institute Registration
Applications for the Experience Leadership Institute are open through May 31, 2021. Registration is $50 and everyone who completes the program will earn an Experience Leadership Institute certificate.
Send questions to Erin Burcham.
Sorry. This form is no longer available.
What’s in it for me?
Earn a leadership certificate that will make your resume stand out when you apply for future jobs and internships. This summer leadership program is designed to give you skills that employers are looking for, regardless of industry.
What’s the time commitment?
The program runs June 7 through July 30 and includes six professional development sessions, with an additional workshop (optional) each week.
- Professional development sessions will link participants with regional business leaders, young professionals, or hiring managers to share their career journey, discuss their roles, and give some real-world examples of what the NACE competencies look like in their industry or office.
- Interactive workshops will take a deeper dive into the NACE competency and help attendees articulate how they currently use that skill as well as ways to grow their competency in that area.
- Participants are encouraged to attend both weekly sessions; however, only the professional development session will be required to earn the certificate. Some weeks, participants may also have materials or assessments to complete prior to the session in order to make the most out of the hour together. The professional development session will be recorded for later viewing to allow for scheduling conflicts.
- There will be additional popup networking events and socials throughout the summer with a completion celebration at the end. All professional development and workshop sessions can be attended virtually and when possible, we will host in-person networking and social events, which will not be required to earn the certificate.
Who should apply?
Any college student or recent graduate who wants to set themselves apart when looking for jobs. This program can complement work or internship programs and is a great alternative for those whose internships were canceled this summer due to COVID-19. Businesses can also enroll summer interns. Contact Erin Burcham for details.
What does the program cost?
$50. Employers who want to enroll multiple interns should contact Katie Beach.
How do I apply?
Fill out the application online. The deadline is May 31.
What’s the application deadline?
All applications must be received by May 31.
Do I have to live in a certain location to qualify?
Not at all! The Experience Leadership Institute Certificate Program will be conducted through online sessions in the summer of 2021. You can enroll and participate from anywhere. We will have some in-person networking and pop-up social events as COVID restrictions allow for those in the Roanoke Region.