Below is your guide to the “Best of the Roanoke Region” over the Thanksgiving holiday. Share this with your college students, adult children, or anyone coming to visit this season – and show off everything your community has to offer.
Get2KnowNoke has hand-selected the trendiest cocktail lounges, the best outdoor adventures, the tastiest eats, breweries you may not have tried, cool new shops that just opened, and so much more. We tried to highlight everything new that your friends and family may not have tried, as well as all the old favorites.
Plan your Friendsgiving at one of the region’s top restaurants or grab a craft cocktail to celebrate.
Move your feet so others can eat! The Drumstick Dash is a Roanoke Turkey Day tradition.
#OptOutside this Black Friday and take advantage of our 1000s of miles of trail and greenways.
Saturday, Nov. 27
Snag great deals and local gifts on Small Business Saturday.
Not in the mood to shop? We’ve gotcha covered with our brewery crawl.
“Now that you can remotely work from anywhere in the world – why would you not choose a place with beautiful mountains, great dining, arts and culture, breweries for days, a huge outdoor community; where your commute is non-existent and adventure is endless.”-Taylor Johnson, Director of Talent Attraction
Wednesday, November 24 (Thanksgiving Eve)
Plan Your Friendsgiving: Grab dinner with hometown friends at one of the region’s trendy new spots and Star City favorites.
- Fortunato (Downtown Roanoke): Homemade Italian restaurant serving handmade pastas, pizzas, craft cocktails, wine and beer.
- Bloom (Wasena): Restaurant and wine bar serving seasonal small-plates and libations.
- Sidecar (Downtown Roanoke): Located next to Martin’s Downtown, this mid-century, art deco designed modern bar and restaurant serving seafood, steak, and superior cocktails is a must do.
- 1772 Rooftop Bar on Main (Fincastle): A rooftop bar featuring a bar made out of an old prop plane, and views overlooking the Blue Ridge Mountains. They have Wine Wednesdays with $5 glasses, and award winning mixologists.
- Local Roots (Grandin Village): Small eatery offering a menu of locally sourced plates.
- Tuco’s Taqueria (West End): Serving a selection of tacos plus a long list of tequilas and mezcals.
- New York Pizza (Vinton): A Vinton classic serving NY-style, thin-crust pizzas, subs, burgers, plus wine & beer.
Thanksgiving Eve Downtown Roanoke: One of the biggest social nights of the year! See old and new friends at any of Downtown Roanoke’s bars. Our list of favorites will be pouring late so you can catch up with old and new friends.
- 202 Social House
- Awful Arthur’s
- Martin’s Downtown
- Corned Beef & Co.
- Sidewinders Steak House and Saloon
- Billy’s Roanoke
- Fork in the Market
Thursday, November 25 (Thanksgiving Day)
Get your dash on and earn your turkey by running or walking in this annual Roanoke tradition.
The Atlantic Union Bank Annual Drumstick Dash 5K: It’s not too late to sign up for Roanoke’s annual pre-meal run/walk. Move your feet so others can eat this holiday season! Sign up online or in-person on Thanksgiving morning.
There are several restaurants open for brunch or lunch options after the race, if you’re not too busy cooking yourself. Check out the VisitVBR “Where to Eat on Thanksgiving” list to learn where you can go.
Friday, November 26 (Black Friday)
#OptOutside on Black Friday: The movement started by outdoor retail company REI in 2015 is celebrated here in the Roanoke Valley, an outdoor wonderland. Instead of spending your day stressed out in crowded stores, enjoy a beautiful outing in the Blue Ridge Mountains .
PRO TIP: Bring a bag on your adventure to collect litter and keep our region beautiful.
- Blue Ridge Parkway: Explore the beauty of the most visited park in the US at any of these local stops.
- Peaks of Otter: Take a leisurely stroll around Abbott Lake and enjoy the views from the base or challenge yourself to a hike up Sharp Top Mountain to 360 mountain views.
- Explore Park: Explore Park features hundreds of acres of trails, riverside views, and outdoor fun. Whether you want to get in a game of Disc Golf or take a bike through the 14 miles of trails, you are sure to get in some serious outdoor adventure. Finish the day at Twin Creeks brew pub.
- Mill Mountain: Haven’t taken a visit to the city’s iconic star in a while? Take a trip up the Mill Mountain Greenway with a picnic at the star. With miles of hiking, mountain biking and running trails, the zoo and the botanical gardens – there is plenty to do for all ages.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve: With 60 miles of trails for hiking and mountain biking, you are sure to find beautiful fall foliage at this outdoor hidden gem.
- Roanoke’s Regional Greenways: The greenways that lie within the City of Roanoke’s limits include Roanoke River Greenway, Garden City Greenway, Mill Mountain Greenway, Murray Run Greenway, Lick Run Greenway, and Tinker Creek Greenway.
- Jackson River Scenic Trail: Virginia’s newest and extremley scenic rails-to-trails project is just outside of downtown Covington. Easy access makes it popular for residents and visitors to walk, bike, or jog along the Jackson River in the beautiful Alleghany Highlands.
Saturday, November 27 (Small Business Saturday)
Small Business Saturday #SBS: Shop ‘til you drop (or until you need a beer). Be a part of recognizing and contributing to our region’s entrepreneurs and small business owners.
Support some of the area’s newest spots on this national holiday.
- Mast General Store: Offers a variety of goods, tasty treats, apparel and outdoor gear.
- The French Farmhouse: Modern farmhouse home décor, lighting, furniture, and holiday spirit.
- Gatewood Rose: Plant lovers rejoice! A market for plants, accessories and education to keep them alive!
- Roanoke Farmers Market Vendors: Connect and buy from the people growing locally sourced food and creating handmade pieces you can’t buy anywhere else!
- Crafteria: Find small batch food and handmade goods from 60+ craftspeople. Find anything from records, holistics, coffee, candles and more!
Other regional favorites:
- Rustic Creations Home Decor in Downtown Vinton
- Alleghany Highlands Arts and Crafts Center in Clifton Forge
- Urban Gypsy in Grandin Village
- Black Dog Salvage in Wasena
- Crystal Springs Grocery Co. Fine Foods in Crystal Springs
- 310 Rosemont in Downtown Roanoke
- Gifts Ahoy at Bridgewater Plaza
- Old’s Cool Vintage Finds in Rocky Mount
- Apple Barn Gifts and Collectibles in Troutville